Monday, July 22, 2013

Writing as therapy. Really.

By Linda Rybak


As a writer I sometimes struggle with my thoughts. Third Story Writers Guild has taught me to get them on paper, even if they are a jumbled mess. After words are written, I can decide what to do with them. I can save, share or delete, possibly even tear or burn.

It's why I love writing poems. The Tanka form is my favorite, because I can be precise with my thoughts to myself, while still being open-ended for interpretation by others. The thesaurus has become a great friend. When I share a poem, readers can use the words to mean what they need them to mean at the time, much like the lyrics of a song.

I love writing for therapeutic measures. I can write about an event or how someone has treated me, giving it a different ending, something you can't do with a genuine conversation.

There are so many aspects of writing I never thought of before joining Third Story Writers Guild. It is great sharing ideas and strategies with the other members. I find this even more therapeutic than putting my thoughts down on paper.

1 comment:

  1. Writing is a wonderful way to get "things" out, and having a support net of writers is helpful on many levels. I often come away from Writers with my mind buzzing with ideas.

    ReplyDelete