Tuesday, August 20, 2013

the value of critique partners

by Karen Dums

 
     A big part of Third Story Writers Guild is sharing our work to get feedback and a fresh point of view. It's most interesting for me when others bring material in for another's opinion, so much so in fact that often I fail to bring in my own writings. Is it because I think I've got in all down pat and don't need input? Heck no! But I can get so caught up in my role as facilitator that I treat it like a job -- more about me helping others than others helping me. Last evening I set that premise aside and brought in a chapter from my novel that needed help. Big time help. It was a scant two pages, sadly lacking in... something. My fellow Guild members pointed it out clearly.  My writing lacked in emotion for the protagonist, even though the setting was a funeral for a family member. Shouldn't that scenario be fraught with emotion? Slash a big 'DUH' across my forehead. I came away scribbling all sorts of ideas, with a new direction in my head that will make that chapter better.
     Last evening's meeting was a good lesson for me. We can get so caught up in our own words and ideas we fail to recognize something might be missing. It may be a good lesson for you as well. My advice to any writer: Share what you write with people you can trust; those who will give you good, solid, honest advice and opinions, then listen to it.
     Thanks fellow Guild members, you are the best.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment