Monday, September 23, 2013

beloved friends...

by Lisa Cook

Well. Autumn means dwindling daylight hours here in our great Northwoods of Wisconsin. My laptop computer is down...again. And since I'm a terrible cheapskate who sees no reason in paying an extremely high light bill, here I sit, writing with ink and paper, by candlelight.

Sitting in my quiet apartment, I find myself thinking rather symbolically. Writing by candlelight. What ARE the "lights" in life? Church and faith would likely be foremost. Home. Music. Family and friends are great light, certainly. Writing itself is a light, in a very metaphorical way. The simple joys, you know? These are perhaps not "deep" thoughts...but symbolic ones, to be sure. All the above are my "lights. They give me both reasons to write and subjects to write about.

 As Edith Wharton so aptly stated, "There are two ways of showing the light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." Very wise. Where and what are YOUR candles? Can one not be both candle and mirror at times?

And here I sit, on my own in my quiet apartment, writing by candlelight

God Bless you, Beloved Reader. Write on !

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Sometimes changing the physical way we write (trading pen for computer; typewriter for quill) can change the way you think... and of course, write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing. There's something mesmerizing about candlelight...am thinking what you wrote must be astonishing indeed. Maybe that "down" computer was a blessing in disquise

    ReplyDelete