Tuesday, April 22, 2014

a tangled web

by Karen Dums


At times the muse can work against us. Our minds are so full of ideas they become fishing line full of knots. If you've ever tried to untangle fish line you'll know its a near impossibility.

Journaling helps me with this. I can blather on in my journal without rhyme nor reason since no one is going to see it but me. But even that can get to feeling "old". Something that makes at least a modicum of sense would be wonderful.

Enter the prompt. I often throw out prompts at writer's group. But when my head is a tangled mess how am I  to come up with a decent one? What do I have to offer myself or anyone else until the web inside my head becomes a nice, smooth, straight line of coherent thought?

Shopping. Book Shop shopping.

The local bookstore shelves held this beautiful little tome. All browns and golds and lovely to look at. Much more importantly was what lay within. Ideas. It was a five year journal with ideas for each and every day. A journal that gives a sense of direction instead of just a blank page. Of course it found its way into my shopping bag. I love it. I love that if my untidy, clutter mind is more or less empty I can open it to the date and fine something sublime or something ridiculous. Not only that, but if I'm true to this little treasure, I'll have years of joy and directed writing to compare one to another.

Bliss.

Sigh.

It may be difficult to untangle the web, but I can still write with clarity in the meantime.

I love a good "book."


No comments:

Post a Comment